On the second Sunday in September, 1994, more than 150 members of the Historic Franklin Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.), gathered in the fellowship hall of the church in anticipation of the first worship service of this newly reorganized church at our location of Fifth Avenue and Main Street (known as Five Points). We entered to the sound of bagpipes into a sanctuary that was as warm and as inviting as it is today. That sanctuary needed a great deal of attention - painting, stained glass window repair, and who knows what else. Not to mention, there was a large space up front where a pipe organ had once been. It did not matter that day. We knew that God could be worshipped and served in whatever space we were given.

Since that time much has happened, from paying off the debt of the church involved in the purchase of the properties at Fifth and Main, to restoring the stained glass, to installing the first Schoenstein pipe organ in the area, which in turn encouraged the Nashville Symphony to choose Schoenstein as the company to build the pipe organ for their new Symphony Hall. In 2007, the church underwent a major renovation to restore and modernize its sanctuary and educational building, and, most importantly, to make the entire facilty accessible and open to all.

Although reorganized in 1992, our church has a sense of its history. Presbyterians have been worshipping in downtown Franklin since 1811, and at Five Points since 1842. They have endured the damage that occurred in so many structures after the Civil War, as well as a devastating fire in 1905 that required the reconstruction of the present site. We understand the challenges of a downtown ministry.

In this historic location, we are mindful of our ancestors who served in the past. Gideon Blackburn founded the Presbyterian church in Franklin in 1811, and went on to organize many of the Presbyterian churches in the area. A.N. Cunningham established the Franklin Female Institute here during his ministry from 1843 to 1857. Samuel H. Chester served here in the 1890s and later went on to serve as secretary for foreign mission work of the Presbyterian Church. Ours is a heritage which we celebrate. Today, at the center of our community, the Historic Franklin Presbyterian Church seeks, in the name of the Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.), to shed the light of Christ by word and deed, that all may be drawn to him.

 


Worship Services
8:30AM & 11:00 AM - Sunday
(childcare provided)

Christian Education:
9:45 - 10:30 AM - Sunday

Mid-week Bible Study:
10:00 AM - Wednesday

 




send email

directions


P. O. Box 323 . Franklin, TN 37065 . (615) 794-9094
Copyright © 2012, Historic Franklin Presbyterian Church